Nails are made from protein called keratin. Different factors can make one to have weak of brittle nails. Hormonal changes, deficiency, dietary insufficiency, pregnancy all can contribute to one having weak nails that break easily. Silk nails are applied to repair trauma to nails and strengthen tips to allow you to start growing your nails. They are not a long term option. If you have been having trouble growing your nails, artificial nails are a great option for getting perfect nails in a short time. Or maybe you just have a bad weekend – and you just have to attend a wedding – go artificial and look sharp!
10 ways to have natural, perfect nails
- Use a good nail technician. To figure this out, you can get recommendations from people who are already using the service. Do not rely on advertisements, locations and prices.
- As much as possible, avoid DIY products. You do not have the right skill or expertise required by some of these products.
- If you have artificial nails, do not peel them off. The structure is such that they stick completely to your nail. If you try to remove by peeling off, it will take off the top layer of your nail.
- Ensure you keep the nail and nail bed clean.
- Always disinfect your tools after use. If not, they could end up hosting bacteria that will cause infection.
- Do not interfere with your cuticles. Cutting or pushing back cuticles can lead to infection since they are the seal between your nail and the nail bed.
- If your nail gets damaged by mistake, go to a professional for medication and care. DIY tactics could end up doing more harm than good.
- Moisturize. It is easy to take good care of our skin and hair while neglecting our nails. When going to bed, wash the hands and feet and apply moisturizer all over including the nails.
- Healthy foods – Deficiency of Vitamin B has been linked to unhealthy nails. Take food rich in vitamin B or supplement.
- When filing or trimming nails make them a square shape rather than round at the edges. Only curve the tops.
What is the difference between gel nails and acrylic nails?
Gel polishes are quite similar to normal nail polish. They are available in threes that is the base, polish color and the top coat. Gel polishes are applied like normal nail varnish but dried under UV light. Gel nails dry faster due to the UV light and they do not produce any unhealthy fumes on application. On the cons, gels do not last as long as acrylics. The removal process is best left to a nail technician – either to file off or soak them off.
Another type of artificial nails, acrylic nails have been popular in the beauty circles for long now. They are applied in a two step process, involving a liquid and powder. Acrylic nail dries due to exposure to the air thus providing a good base for application of nail varnish. Acrylic nails have many advantages starting with price, simple application and removal process and they can last long. However, they use strong chemicals which can cause problems for some people. They also look artificial as compared to gel nails.
Gel nails are a bit expensive than acrylic nails. They also hold color more so they are a good option. When applied, gel nails are much like varnish and look very natural. They grow out as your nails grow longer. However, they can be retouched by filling the outgrown place every three weeks to a month. When you are ready to remove them, you need to soak them in nail varnish remover to loosen. You can paint and make beautiful art with both types of nails.
What nail polish color should I wear with my skin tone?
Times have changed and the definition of what’s hot, what’s appropriate and so on is often hard. People are having a field day living their dream, matching and blocking colors – all in a bid to look good. So, what color of nail polish should I wear with my skin tone? Or what should you wear with your skin tone?
In fact, it is quite likely as you try out different colors you will land one that is totally off the hook. Personally, I will always choose color that flatters my outfits. However, some neutral colors that are always on point could be pink with white tips or burgundy. Just get one that looks good on you.
7 easy & effective ways to strengthen your nails
The only two ways of strengthening finger nail are styling and protecting and the 7 ways of strengthening nails fall into either category.
- Improve your intake of omega 3 either by supplementing or taking foods that contain high levels. Other vitamins required for healthy nails are vitamins A, C, D, E, B and folic acid, iron, calcium, zinc and biotin.
- Use a nail hardener that contains proteins and vitamins. The proteins will fortify while vitamins will nourish your nails. Look out for chemicals in varnish or nail hardener that can irritate the skin around your nails.
- Using nail polish can strengthen your nails because it protects the nail from drying. Don’t’ keep polish for over 7days.
- Only use nail varnish remover that does not contain acetone and do not use it regularly – at most once in a week.
- Protect your nails from harsh chemicals, over exposure to harsh weather. Don’t use your nails to pull, open and poke things.
- When doing activities that put your hands in water for a long time, wear gloves. Exposure to water can cause bacteria to grow and weaken your nails.
- Supplement your vitamin B intake with biotin (2.5mg). Vitamin B is important to maintain healthy hair, skin and nails.